Security careers and training
Where to find training providers and courses
- To find an ASIAL member offering training near you, go to the ASIAL Member Search directory and select "training".
- You can search for a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) at www.myskills.gov.au.
- A list of RTOs offering cabling training can be found in our cabling section of the website
- ASIAL also offers online training in a range of professional development courses. Go to ASIAL eLearning
Industry Overview and Careers
It is estimated that the Australian security industry is worth over $4.5 billion dollars, comprising $2.5 billion in manpower and over $2 billion in hardware and electronics.
The industry employs over 170,000 personnel nationally and most of those are employed in two broad groups:
- Manpower roles include bodyguard, crowd controller, gatekeeper, mobile patrol guard, security agent, security officer, loss prevention officer, concierge, etc. Download a fact sheet.
- Technician roles include security systems installers who fit and repair security systems in homes and businesses, control room operators monitoring alarm systems, or network administrators operating vast security systems. Download a fact sheet.
There are also roles as a private investigator, security adviser or risk assessor.
Training options, include but are not limited to the following:
- Certificate I in Security Operations
- Certificate II in Security Assembly and Set-up
- Certificate II in Security Operations
- Certificate II in Security Screens and Grills
- Certificate II in Technical Security
- Certificate III in Government (Security)
- Certificate III in Public Safety (Biosecurity Response Operations)
- Certificate III in Security Equipment
- Certificate III in Security Operations
- Certificate III in Security Screens and Grills
- Certificate III in Technical Security
- Certificate IV in Government (Personnel Security)
- Certificate IV in Government (Security)
- Certificate IV in Public Safety (Biosecurity Response Leadership)
- Certificate IV in Security and Response
- Certificate IV in Security and Risk Management
- Diploma of Government (Security)
- Diploma of Public Safety (Biosecurity Response Management)
- Diploma of Security and Risk Management
- Advanced Diploma of Network Security
- Plus University degree level courses
New online training courses offered by the Fair Work Ombudsman
There are courses available for employers, employees, supervisors and managers. All courses feature videos and interactive scenarios which provide you with a hands-on learning experience. Each course takes around 20 - 30 minutes to finish and you can access them from your computer and most tablets and mobiles.
Courses available for small business owners and managers:
Hiring employees - This course will guide you through the hiring process, from deciding whether to hire through to the first months of employment.
Managing performance - This course will help you promote good employee performance in your workplace and address under-performance when it occurs.
Difficult conversations in the workplace - manager course - Whether you're delivering bad news or talking to employees about their behaviour, this course will help you handle the conversations well.
Courses available for employees:
Starting a new job - This course will help you start your new job with confidence and understand the rights and obligations that come with it.
Difficult conversations in the workplace - employee course - This course will help you talk to your manager about things like getting the right pay, taking leave and changing your hours at work.
Log on to the Online Learning Centre to experience these courses for yourself. It now has a new look and remains easy to navigate.