Locksmiths and licence requirements

14th Oct 15

This is a direct extract from the October 2015 edition of the Office of Fair Trading’s (OFT) Security Buzz, an e-newsletter for Queensland security providers.

Did you know that generally you must have a security equipment installer licence to install, repair, service or maintain electronic or mechanical locks, regardless of whether they are situated in commercial environments, residential complexes or residential homes?

A Class 2 security provider licence is required to be a security equipment installer and this is applicable to individuals who install, repair, service or maintain:

  • alarms
  • monitoring systems
  • audio or visual recording systems
  • electric, electro-magnetic or biometric access control devices
  • motion, infra-red, microwave or contact detectors
  • safes or vaults
  • motion sensor lights that don’t set off alarms.

In most circumstances, you must have a licence to install, repair, service or maintain basic locks.

Details on requirements for a security equipment installer licence can be found on the OFT website.

If, after reading this you realise you may need a security equipment installer licence, or know of someone else who does, you can email We will provide you with information and assistance to help you get the licence you need.

Tags: LegislationSecurity Licensing

For the latest industry news, sign up for the ASIAL newsletter